This rolling to sit lesson starts out in sitting, with lifting legs, and rolling straight backwards and returning. Then you develop rolling to the sides over the ankles. The emphasis is on the timing and path of the folding of the legs to bring you back up without a big swing.
- Sit, feet together, holding ankles: lift L foot to side. Shift weight; tilt L ear to L shoulder. R ear to R shoulder (leg higher?). Stop & sense sits-bones.
- Other side.
- Both legs. (Bring legs nearer. Pelvis, back soften backwards.)
- Both, each alone, both—rolling onto your back. Return by folding legs smartly and lifting head, hip joints free. (Not a big swing.)
- Hold arches, ape style (from instep?). Lift L leg. R leg. Both, open, balance—until roll back. Return immediately, pelvis doesn’t come off floor!
- Sit, soles together. Tilt until R knee touches, place R elbow on floor in front.
- Other side. Start to lift R leg as you tilt L; return R foot smartly to sole of L foot as you come back up.
- Sit, lift both legs—easier to balance, legs wider, straighter? Roll back and close to roll up.
- Sit, holding feet as before, take R elbow to floor in front of R knee, come to lie on back, and return.
- Other side.
- From back, take feet and open leg/roll to side. Sit up. One side long, one folds smartly.
- Sitting, hold feet from inside. Lift R foot, bring back. L foot, bring back. Both. Roll back. and return, closing legs smartly.
- Face up, hold inside L foot with R hand, R foot on floor, lift and lower L leg. R hand behind head; lift leg and elbow/(shoulder?) into space.
- Other side.
- Then sit, hold feet, lift (balance?) and roll back and return. Bend and stretch without falling.
- Indicate focus or key principles that are made explicit in the teaching
- SF Public Workshop – Volume 1 – 5. New hip joints is the same lesson.
Circling around on pelvis:
- Amherst 1 – Week 9 – 08/06/80 Full circles holding the legs
- E34 Introduction to rolling
- SF Public Workshop – Vol. 1 – 5. New hip joints
- Vancouver – University of British Columbia – 15 Aug 73 pt. 1 – Hands on Feet, Rolling
- Add your thoughts about the lesson here.
- Please sign your comments
- Differing viewpoints are welcome and desired!
Disclaimer: This site is for sharing information about Feldenkrais® Awareness Through Movement® lessons. The information included on this site is for educational purposes only. Nothing on Feldy Notebook should be construed as an attempt to offer medical advice or treatment.
All contributions to this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License. Do not add any copyrighted information to this website. Feldy Notebook is sponsored by Kinetic Inquiry.