The Amherst training had a number of delightful learnings, and trainings that derive from this training also have delightful changes, both in terms of physical (bodily) and emotional (and, occasionally, spiritual).
Those of us who emerged from this tradition have wondered about Dr. Feldenkrais and Yoga. It made sense that he would be curious about the practices and would have studied them — however there has been no direct information about this. Of course, in the Esalen materials, there is the one Yoga pose (“Toad”). To add to this, recently we have learned that Dr. Feldenkrais translated a Yoga booklet and offered a brief introduction.
A few practitioners have studied the Alexander Yanai lessons sequentially and have found a treasure trove of lessons that are direct interpretations of yoga poses.
Here is a beginning list of lessons from this investigation:
- Bending in standing AY 449
- With the hand leaning on the knee, AY 332
- Frog – continuation-(Toad)-AY320
- Touching the floor with the hands, No. 1 – AY 139
- Rolling at the rate of stretching and bending. AY 313
- Preparation for a candle-AY 314
- Balancing on feet that are joined – AY 166
- Balancing on the hands (1) – AY 162
- Heels under the pelvis 1 (In and out). AY 190
- Knees inward to the floor AY173
- Lying on the feet 2 AY184
- Lying on the Feet No 3 and breathing rhythmically AY 185
- Making the spine flexible and integrating it AY177
- Opposing movements in the head and shoulders, (2)–on the knees (AY 221)
- Pressing the legs and sitting the body. AY 169
- Separating the spaces in (between) the toes. AY 161
- Sliding the back of the hands behind the back – AY 160
- The leg to the other side, rolling the head. AY 128
- Looking at the back while sitting AY136
- Legs to the side and lifting them with the hands AY135
- Lengthening the back in refined movements, in sitting AY288
AY 166 – Standing Butterfly.
Disclaimer: This site is for sharing information about Feldenkrais® Awareness Through Movement® lessons. The information included on this site is for educational purposes only. Nothing on Feldy Notebook should be construed as an attempt to offer medical advice or treatment.
All contributions to this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License. Do not add any copyrighted information to this website. Feldy Notebook is sponsored by Kinetic Inquiry.