The Amherst training had a number of delightful learnings, and trainings that derive from this training also have delightful changes, both in terms of physical (bodily) and emotional (and, occasionally, spiritual).
Those of us who emerged from this tradition have wondered about Dr. Feldenkrais and Yoga. It made sense that he would be curious about the practices and would have studied them — however there has been no direct information about this. Of course, in the Esalen materials, there is the one Yoga pose (“Toad”). To add to this, recently we have learned that Dr. Feldenkrais translated a Yoga booklet and offered a brief introduction.
A few practitioners have studied the Alexander Yanai lessons sequentially and have found a treasure trove of lessons that are direct interpretations of yoga poses.
Here is a beginning list of lessons from this investigation:
- Rotterdam 1976 – Tape 9 – Foot to head, roll to sit continues
- Rotterdam 1976 – Tape 8 – Foot to head, roll to sit
- Rotterdam 1976 – Tape 5 – talk Education and health and medicine
- AY405 Crossing the leg behind 
- AY406 Crossing the leg behind 
- AY439 Preparation for bridge, continuation
- AY144 Pushing the floor in a bridge backward
- AY142 Frog
- AY134 Rolling in a bridge with the hands on the ankles
- AY056 Bending the abdomen with leg swings (Catching flies)
- AY048 And from here to the frog stand
- AY047 Lifting the lower leg with both hands
- AY011 Preparation for shoulder stand
- AY009 Preparation for a shoulder stand (on the back)
- SFEC Notes – 05. Foot to head (July 1)
- SFEC Public Workshop – Vol. 2 – 6. More flexible than a child
- E40 Doing-the-Impossible-Toad-Movement (recordings)
- E38 Toad—the “Impossible” Lesson (Stransky notes)
- SFEC Public Workshop – Vol. 2 – 3. Easy rolling
- AY449 Bending in standing
- AY332 With the hand leaning on the knee
- AY320 Frog – continuation – (Toad)
- AY139 Touching the floor with the hands, #1
- AY313 Rolling at the rate of stretching and bending
- AY314 Preparation for a candle
- AY128 The leg to the other side, rolling the head
- AY166 Balancing on feet that are joined
- AY162 Balancing on the hands (1)
- AY190 Heels under the pelvis 1 (In and out)
- AY173 Knees inward to the floor
- AY135 Legs to the side and lifting them with the hands
- AY288 Lengthening the back in refined movements, in sitting
- AY136 Looking at the back while sitting
- AY185 Lying on the Feet # 3 and breathing rhythmically #2
- AY184 Lying on the feet 2
- AY177 Making the spine flexible and integrating it
- AY221 Opposing movements in the head and shoulders, (2)-on the knees
- AY169 Pressing the legs and sitting the body.
- AY161 Separating the spaces in (between) the toes
- AY160 Sliding the back of the hands behind the back
AY 166 – Standing Butterfly.
Disclaimer: This site is for sharing information about Feldenkrais® Awareness Through Movement® lessons. The information included on this site is for educational purposes only. Nothing on Feldy Notebook should be construed as an attempt to offer medical advice or treatment.
All contributions to this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License (except for the material used to provide textual search of the Alexander Yanai lessons which is copyrighted by the IFF). Do not add any copyrighted information to this website. Feldy Notebook is sponsored by Kinetic Inquiry.