Lessons involving the use of the eyes and vision
This list is automatically generated–any page that is tagged with “vision” will appear here.
- Covering the eyes AY10
- Crossing knees and coordinated eye movements AY266
- Differentiation of eyes, head, and back in twisting movements AY54
- Eye coordination in sitting
- Eye exercises E33
- In sitting – twisting with the eyes AY420
- Minimal eye movements (part 2) Amherst
- Movement of the eyes left and right
- Movement of the Eyes Organizes the Movement of the Body
- On the cheek AY25
- On the side, the sternum becoming flexible AY217
- Organize the head, neck, and upper body for vision
- Seeing the heels AY2
- The eyeball lesson AY165
- Turning standing
- Turning while sitting LT1
This is a list of AY lessons related to using the eyes, from Feldyforum:
- AY 2 Seeing the heels
- AY 7 Seeing the heels while lying on the stomach
- AY 10 Covering the eyes
- AY 15 Eyes I
- AY 25 On the Cheek
- AY 26 Pearls and Eyes
- AY 34 Foot on the head
- AY 54 Differentiation of the eyes, head, and back in twisting movements
- AY 165 The eyeball lesson
- AY 216 Lifting the head at the hands in a ?V?
- AY 217 On the side, the Sternum becoming flexible
- AY 266 Crossing the knees and coordinated eye movements
- AY 296 Relaxing the muscles of the throat
- AY 420 In sitting, twisting with the eyes
- AY 453 Eyes and line
- AY 525 Lifting the head and eyes
Eye lessons from other sources:
- Esalen Workshop (1972): “Reeducation of the Eyes” & “Eye Exercises”
- Berkeley (1973): “Eyes”
- David Webber’s CD ‘Seeing Clearly’
- Jeff Haller recordings from 2013 conference “The Eyes Have It”
The “eye lessons” rarely fit into only one of these categories.
- Lessons that directly focus on the eyes as the main explicit topic: AY 10, 15, 26, 165, 453
- Lessons that make use of the eyes to organize action in flexion (e.g. Lifting the head and eyes), extension (e.g. Seeing the Heels, Relaxing the muscles of the throat) or smooth movement (e.g. Crossing the knees and coordinated eye movements), or both
- Lessons that address the eye/neck relationship (and the relationship of that to the tonus of the whole body and the function of shifting weight or turning in gravity), often exploring both undifferentiated and differentiated relationships of the eyes, head, and spine (often in “Dead bird” lessons, or in Coordinating Flexors & Extensors lessons, or hugging self lessons, where these involve the eyes).
- AY 266 is a kind of differentiation–not the usual with/opposite, but keeping the eyes, which normally lead actively, passive through the whole lesson.
- Lessons that explore the activity of the eyes as an indicator of the state of excitement of the nervous system (e.g. Covering the Eyes, AY 10; Eyes I AY 15)
- Lessons that explore convergence/divergence or focus (e.g. Pearls and Eyes; AY 15) and/or smoothing the eyes (AY 15, AY 266)
- Smoothing the eyes lessons are often but not always related to maintaining vision on the horizon, shifting weight; sometimes they focus more locally on quality of movement.
- Lessons that bring attention to the anatomy of the eye orbit, to the location of the blind spot/exit of the optic nerve; “eyes as periscope” lessons.
Disclaimer: This site is for sharing information about Feldenkrais® Awareness Through Movement® lessons. The information included on this site is for educational purposes only. Nothing on Feldy Notebook should be construed as an attempt to offer medical advice or treatment.
All contributions to this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License. Do not add any copyrighted information to this website. Feldy Notebook is sponsored by Kinetic Inquiry.