- Alexander Yanai Vol 5
- Reel 14, Track 4, Lesson 1
This lesson involves sitting with legs spread, and lying on the back. Variations of lifting and circling the long legs frame the lesson (at the end you lift both long legs), and variations in between include lifting head and circling long leg towards ceiling while on back, sitting with long legs and
Rests between changes of sides, and sometimes between changes of direction.
- Sit with long, spread legs. Lift R leg and make 10 or so circles in the air, in each direction. Then left leg.
- Lying, R hand behind R knee of long leg in air (L foot standing on floor), make circles with leg–whole body rolls. With head lifted by L hand as well. Switching hands. Other direction. Then other side. Clarification: do it bent at the ankle–lengthening the heel.
- Both legs straight in air, respective hand behind knee: make circles with both at same time. With head lifted, and with head leaning back on floor. (Something on one side interferes with the circle in the opposite direction.) Other direction.
- Sit with long and spread legs: rest hands on either side of R leg. Lift R leg. Then in the same position, with clarification that you actually lean on hands: pull R hip back (and lift) to shorten R heel (this is how you lift R leg). Other side.
- Same position, but with L hand between legs and R hand held out at shoulder height: turn to the R with R arm, following with eyes, until L buttock lifts. R hand goes higher. (Clarification: lean on L hand in middle.) Other side, and then side to side.
- Sit, and lean on hands behind: put legs together and lift both. Fingers in direction of legs. On elbows if necessary. Bend head forwards at same time.
- Sit with long and spread legs, shorten feet, R hand between legs–but this time not to lean on. Lift left hand a make a fist–look at it, and make as large a circle as possible, with speed. Pay attention particularly to the left upper arc of the circle. Other direction. Other side.
- Sit with long and spread legs and slide hands forwards: easier than usual? Lift head and look forward at end. Stay there and lift each leg. Alternate.
- Sit with long and spread legs, and both hands resting on floor between. Lift both legs.Then try to slide hands forwards.
- Scan lying face up. Walk.
- I’m working on this lesson to understand the connections from folding over straightened legs (e.g. 198) to lifting and circling long legs in sitting, to the splits (211), and basic spreading of the legs (212).
Circling the back with the leg:
- AY059 – Lifting the head with the hands
- AY199 Circles with the legs (Feet and lower legs)
- AY210 On the right side (while lying on the left side)
- AY261 Circles with the legs lying on the back
Lower back and pelvis:
- Amherst 1 – Week 3 – 06/27/80 Holding chin and rolling (#2)
- Amherst 1 – Week 4 – 06/30/80 Rolling to the right and left (#1)
- Amherst 1 – Week 5 – 07/10/80 AM1 Circling right arm and leg on floor (part 1)
- Amherst 1 – Week 5 – 07/10/80 AM2 Circling right arm and leg on floor (part 2)
- Amherst 1 – Week 5 – 07/10/80 PM2 Circling the Arm in the Air
- Amherst 1 – Week 6 – 07/14/80 AM1 Tilting elbow and knee inside and outside
- Amherst 1 – Week 6 – 07/14/80 AM2 Passing elbow over opposite knee
- Amherst 1 – Week 6 – 07/14/80 PM1 On Hands, Elbows, Knees Sitting on Heels /Sitting the English way (part 1)
- Amherst 1 – Week 6 – 07/14/80 PM2 On Hands, Elbows, Knees Sitting on Heels /Sitting the English way (part 2)
- AY004 Sitting Indian fashion
- AY019.5 Unidentified and Partial
- AY043 Lifting the pelvis on standing feet
- AY074 Rocking the back with the help of one leg
- AY081 Washing the face with the feet
- AY197 Heels under the pelvis #7
- AY211 The splits
- AY212 Basic spreading of the legs
- AY212.2 Overlapping shins (legs) #1
- AY241 Getting to know the hip joints
- AY249 Knee pulling the shoulders to sit Indian-style
- AY250 Balance with the knees crossed
- AY286 Interweaving the back with the help of the hands, continuation
- AY287 General continuation
- AY293 Distinction of the vertebrae in swinging
- AY302 Releasing the hips by holding the feet
- AY309 Knees right and left with making the hips flexible
- AY312 End standing
- AY326 Sitting – Lying
- AY354 Walking backward
- AY376 Clocks in three positions
- AY425 Lying on the heels 
- AY452 Toward Japanese sitting
- AY528 Advancing on all fours
- IFF Archive Collection: Foot in the Hand, Lying on the Back
- MM01 Twisting to Floor
- Rotterdam 1976 – Tape 3 – Extensor Lesson Continues
- SB4 Lateral Bending on Stomach/Head through gap on the stomach
- SF2 – Week 04 – 8 July 1976, am: Straightening the Leg, Holding Foot with Opposite Hand
- SF2 – Week 04 – 8 July 1976, pm: Straightening the Leg, Holding Foot with Opposite Hand continued
- SF2 – Week 06 – 22 July 1976: Lengthening the Arms Overhead with Fingers Interlaced continued
- SF2 – Week 08 – 5 August 1976: Fingers Interlaced, Inverting the Hands and Lifting the Small of the Back
- SF2 – Week 09 – 11 August 1976: Movements from Prior Lesson and Beyond
- Toronto 1980 – DAY1-2 – On back, rolling the head with the hands, part 1
- Click “link” above to add a link; “file” to upload a resource or picture, or “widget” to embed a video.
Share Your Insights (ideas, principles, strategies, experiences, …)
- Add your thoughts about the lesson here.
- Please sign your comments.
- Differing viewpoints are welcome and desired!
Disclaimer: The information included on this site is for educational purposes only. Nothing on Feldy Notebook should be construed as an attempt to offer medical advice or treatment.
All contributions to this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License. Do not add any copyrighted information to this website. Feldy Notebook is sponsored by Kinetic Inquiry.